Friday, July 31, 2009

For NFL Fans, No News Is Good News


Every year, when my Padres fade from contention, and there is nothing else (that I care about) going on in sports, I start craving for San Diego Chargers news. Just give me something! It seems that all the other teams are making the headlines on SportsCenter, or in the papers. My Chargers apetite is not being satisfied. Then it happens...

The Chargers make the news.

* Shawne Merriman test positive for steroids

* Steve Foley shot by off duty cop

* Stephen Cooper tests positive for stimulants

* Junior Seau, or Donnie Edwards, or Rodney Harrison sent packing

* Marty fired after 14-2 season


* Shawne Merriman and Chad Ocho-Cinco fighting over Twitter

That is not what I am looking for.

How about...


* First round draft pick signs and shows up to camp early

* Charger player saves person's life


* NFL recognizes Chargers as the team of the century

You see, I'm not asking much.

What I have finally come to realize after years of frustration over the lack of coverage of my Bolts is that no news is good news. If I hear a report about the Chargers in the preseason, it will certainly be negative. A player breaks the law, a player breaks the rules, a player gets hurt, a player sits out, etc... So, I am happy not to hear about the Chargers this year.

The news out of San Diego this year has been positve, despite the lack of natinoal coverage.

* Team seems focused on winning, not hype

* Team healthiest it has been in years

* Shawne Merriman shows up to camp with rookies to get started

* Rookies showing great skills and potential


The only negative stuff right now is that their number one draft pick, Larry English has not signed. Norv Turner said yesterday that he is confident that English will sign and he is not concerned at this time. I hope he is right!

So, I guess what I am trying to say is, if you are sitting there craving stories about your team and are frustrated that nothing is coming out. Be happy instead. Those negative stories about Chargers players listed above could easily be about your favorite team next time. So remember, no news is good news.



1 comment: